If you are reading this article, you are surely looking for log homes for sale. As experienced constructors, we are going to tell you about the pros and cons of a classic Canadian log home.
Canadian homes are traditionally constructed from broadleaf wood with insulants. Contrary to the opinion of many ecologists, wood is one of a few construction materials in the wild able to quickly renew itself. Scientists say that if humanity while satisfying the needs, will cut over the trees without replacing them, the woods will naturally regenerate within 80-100 years.
Despite this, every reputable and environmentally friendly enterprise does its best to restore the balance of nature in a fast and efficient way. And log homes builders, who are full circle wood processors, are strongly concerned about this.
Canadian forest industry regularly improves wood processing technologies to boost production and increase competitive advantage on the global level. Due to strict laws and regulations, the area of the forest cover in Canada remains almost untouched. In the worst-case scenario, Canada will need 40 years to lose 1 percent of its forests (Сanadian Council of Forest Ministers). It means that domestic wood processors can carry out production with no worry they will damage national forests.
What are the advantages of wood as a construction material?
They are quite numerous, including the following:
- It is ecological.
- It is biocompatible with humans and animals.
- Its strength-to-weight ratio is high at a relatively low density.
- Wood is cheaper than other building materials like concrete, gas concrete block, brick.
- A Canadian log home is temperature resistant. In winter, four seasons cottages will give you warmth and keep you cool in the hot summer.
- It has unique esthetic beauty, both in exterior and interior designs.
- It is flexible enough to be used in complex designs and constructions.
- Wood processing and house fabrication do not take much time.
- It is durable. On average, a house built according to the technology lasts from 50 to 100 years.
Along with that, construction from wood also has several disadvantages. However, provided that special treatment agents are used, these restraints are reduced to the minimum.
Below, there are solutions to potential risks:
- Wood is poor in fire resistance. Modern wood treatments help to achieve the maximum fire-fighting effect. However, there is no 100% guarantee against elemental or concentrated fire.
- Moisture and temperature difference. To avoid it, we treat all materials with special antiseptic compounds that prevent mold and cracking of the beam.
- Insects. Today, there are many products on the market able to counteract insects without causing harm to you and your pets.
Briefly about our construction technology
Since 1977, Four Seasons Log Homes has been using different kinds of wood for construction. And years of practice showed that the best tree for our products is red pine (also called Norway pine) and eastern white pine.
These two wonderful trees have a beautiful textured pattern, sufficient strength, and lightness. They have numerous wonderful qualities, below, there are just a few of them:
- Eastern White Pine (EWP) grows mainly in North America.
- It is usually 20-35 meters in height and up to 1 m in diameter.
- It does not like shade but copes well with winds.
- The life expectancy is up to 500 years.
- EWP can survive even temporary flooding, but it might slow its growth.
- It is a traditional Christmas tree at many homes.
The way we build our homes is a classic Canadian technology. For the walls we use a so-called “sandwich” technology – wood panels are fastened in a special way, and the space between them is filled with highly insulative material.
To wrap up our story, wood as a building material is a relatively cheap, strong, and quite durable material. If processed properly, wood will serve you for many years and will give you warmth and comfort.
At Four Seasons Log Homes, architects and designers will eagerly assist you in choosing a house in the classic Canadian style or in the modern one. We follow present-day trends and tend to use the most recent construction technologies and materials. However, we keep the classical canons of house building alive.
Our company produces and builds eco log homes, and we have plenty of offers for you: ready-made house projects or individual designs. Contact us, and we will be happy to help you. More information about how we build houses you will find in the article.